Enjoying the bounty of summer means enjoying all the produce that is now available year-round. Winter squash like our favorite butternut is certainly not just for winter anymore, especially with a little facelift. And what do you do with that beautiful romanesque broccoli that you’ve never cooked before? Steam it and pour over an herby green sauce of course! Enjoy these veggies all dressed up for summer.
Hasselback Butternut Squash With Pink Himalayan Sea Salt
- 2 butternut squashes, peeled and sliced in half (and then do “hasselback slices”: cut thin slices vertically but not completely, and leave a half inch at the bottom uncut).
- Pink Himalayan sea salt (or your favorite seasoning salt)
- Fresh parsley, chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 shallot, minced
- Olive oil
- Black pepper
Procedure: Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Spray pan and place sliced squash open side down on the pan. Sprinkle with herbs and seasonings. Bake 25-35 minutes and check for doneness. Bake until caramelized.
Broccoli Romanesco With Green Herb Sauce
- 1 to 2 heads of romanesco broccoli or cauliflower (regular can also be used)
- 1 lemon, zested and juiced
- 3 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 tsp Herbs de Provence, or 1 tsp thyme or rosemary
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- ½ shallot, minced
- ¼ cup olive oil
- Salt and pepper
Steam vegetables in a steam basket over simmering water for 15-20 minutes, or roast in a 400 degree oven for 30 minutes if you like it more crisp. Combine sauce ingredients and pour over before serving.
It’s All About Garlic!
- four large full heads of garlic
Cut straight off the top of garlic heads so that one can see the attached cloves.
Wrap them in aluminum foil and roast for one hour in the oven at 400 degrees, ideally just prior to Shabbat.
When it is time to bite into the taste of delicious challah, garlic lovers will love “shmeering” the garlic on their bread. Depending upon the number of people at your table determines how much garlic you will need. Add a little kosher salt if you like.