StatePoint—Stress is not only unpleasant; it can be overwhelming, ultimately preventing you from solving the problems that caused the stress in the first place. But getting focused can help you feel happier and be more successful professionally, financially and in your relationships, say experts.
“Rather than living with fear or regret, you can turn your life’s most difficult challenges into the best thing that has ever happened to you,” says Master DDnard, self-help guru and author of the new book, “The Compass of Now,” a guide for taking control of one’s life, which is already a best-seller in Thailand. The key to reducing harmful stress in your life is to incorporate meditation into your day, stresses DDnard. She offers these tips for getting started:
• Separate yourself from your feelings: Remember that your thoughts and feelings are impermanent, so try not to be consumed by your emotions. Freeing yourself from an internal negative loop can improve your mood and have a positive effect on your external circumstances.
• Give and share: Concentrate on giving and sharing your happiness. “When you do so, you’ll attract goodness, good people, and prosperity,” she says.
• Focus on possibilities: A good ratio is to spend 5 % of your time thinking about a problem, and the other 95% of your time thinking about solutions. Avoid dwelling on limitations that hold you back.
• Appreciate: Each day, set aside time to put down your electronic devices and turn off the television. Meditation can help you appreciate the world around you—the color of the sky, the smiles of your loved ones, the warmth of your family and friends.
• Be satisfied: You can “choose” to be happy regardless of your circumstances, says DDnard. So concentrate on what you have and it being “enough,” rather than on your desires that are unfulfilled. That way of thinking tends to be negative, and unhelpful toward setting and meeting goals.
“In a society oversaturated with technology, we’ve lost our ability to focus,” says DDnard. “But being mindful and tapping into your intuitive center can help you reach your full potential.
More tips and advice for reducing stress can be found at www.CompassOfNow.com.